Friday, March 2, 2012

The torture of small waves....

It's not what you think!  For a seasoned surfer like Michael, small waves are tedious.  We've been having a lot of them this week.  He still goes out because being in the water and catching a few small waves is better than not.  For me the small waves would be perfect for getting in a lot of practice and really getting a handle on surfing.  The only problem is that on Monday I broke a toe, so now I can't surf.  Bummer!  And torture for me to see these good conditions (for me, anyway) that I can't take advantage of.  Oh well.  At least it happened at the end of our trip and not at the beginning.  And yes, I was surfing. The leash got caught between my toes and yanked hard to the side.  My second smallest toe on the left foot suffered.  I iced it.  I buddy taped it to its brethren on either side.  It turned black and blue and swelled a bit along with part of my foot.  I've been hobbling around and trying to stay off it.  There isn't a whole lot you can do for a broken toe, especially the smaller ones.  It's definitely improved now.  All the same, I went to the doctor yesterday just to make sure I was doing the right things.  Once again, Costa Rican medicine has proven both proficient and economical.  The doc was nice and gave me a thorough exam and explanation of what is going on with my toe.  He said everything is in line and to stop taping it and to use it, with the only limitation being pain.  So I am walking better today and someday I'll wear shoes again.  :)

In the meantime, Michael and I also moved out of our Canadian Villa for two nights.  We needed to vacate because they were already booked for those two nights when we booked our stay.  After getting back from Monteverde, we decided that we didn't want to get back in a car so soon and bump down the road for a few hours to spend a couple of nights somewhere else.  This turned out to be a good thing given what happened with my toe.  We got a room at Casa Romantica instead, which is very close to where we have been at Villas Canadienses.  Casa Romantica is a small hotel with a lovely pool and their own private path to the beach.  We enjoyed hanging by the pool, especially me, since I wasn't hobbling so well.  We saw a Coati (large raccoon-like thing) hanging out in the top of a coconut palm, as well as a nesting pair of Great Kiskadee birds which have bright yellow breasts.  It was convenient to have a restaurant right there since we no longer had a kitchen.  Breakfast was even provided with the room.  Today, we moved back again to yet another unit at the Villas.  All in all it was easy and pleasant and the staff were really nice at the hotel.  We are in the last week of our trip and it seems strange.  On Monday we'll drive back to San Jose and fly out on Tuesday.

This afternoon we went for a little walk on the beach at low tide.  This was a triumph for me as I didn't know if I'd be able to do that again before we left.  Yay!  We also had another good game of Gin Rummy. We've been playing Cribbage too.  We watch movies sometimes but TV seems a pretty foreign concept.  I guess we'll have a little culture shock to deal with when we get back to the States.  For now we are doing our best to enjoy the rest of our time here.

Cheers,

Sojourner Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment